Thursday, November 28, 2013

Beckum's Baby Story pt. 2

Beckum's Baby story continued.... Disclaimer: *this is a delivery story; if you don't like those, stop reading now ;)*

So once Hunter got home we continued frantically packing everything we needed. I had decided a long time ago that I wanted my Mom to be there and so I arranged for my sister Sara and her boyfriend Caleb to come to my place and take care of Hav if I was actually going to have a baby that night.

side rant: some people are anti 'Moms of the baby mama being in the delivery room'... they say "it takes away from the experience between husband and wife"... But I personally think that's completely silly. I would probably feel differently if my Mom was the type of Mom to be over bearing - but she's the best Mom in the world actually. So... that obviously wasn't a concern for me. I believe that the main goal through delivery is helping baby mama get through the entire excruciating experience in the most comfortable way possible. All my childhood my mom helped me when I was sick. So obviously she would best know how to help me when I was in labor. Anyways... *side rant over*.

I hadn't even washed my baby clothes yet (I swear it was on a legitimate 'list of things to do') and so we had to pack unwashed baby clothes, but we managed to pull everything we needed together in about 15 minutes and were quickly on our way out the door.

the bag is packed!
see how the picture is blurry? 1 example of our frenzied state lol.
I freaked out a little on our drive there (auto-pilot Megan was in an out at this point... ha) and panicked about things that were very, very important. For example:

"Hunter I wanted to dye my hair before we had the baby! It's not dyed!" 

or

"Hunter we haven't even taken any maternity photos together yet! I wanted to get cute ones of Haven and my belly!" 

or

"Hunter we haven't even picked a middle name if the baby is a boy!" (Ummmm... I feel that this one is an actual legitimate concern.)

or

"Hunter I didn't even do my hair nicely today! I wanted to have nice "delivery hair-dew" not crazy delivery hair-dew!"

or

"Hunter we haven't gone on our Mommy, Daddy-Son dates with Haven yet!!!" (Also, one that I feel is a legitimate reason to be upset.)

or

"Hunter I haven't done up a draft of what our baby announcements are going to look like yet!!!"

or

"Hunter I forgot to write you and Haven letters in case I DIE!!!" (You all laugh now at my ridiculousness, but I promise you wouldn't be laughing if I actually did end up dying. Just sayin')

or

"Hunter Michelle hasn't done a fill on my eye lash extensions yet!" 

I tell you this because it's funny... so I hope you all don't think I'm a vein, psycho, control freak (.... ok... I will only admit to being a psycho control freak a little bit). I just really enjoy planning and preparation in my life... it helps to calm me. And in this moment, I was far from having anything planned or prepared.

But lets all marinate again in the awesomeness that is my husband: in response to all of my frazzled, panicked and, I'll be honest, generally trivial upsets, he would respond with a calming "it's all going to be fine, Megger."

We made it to the hospital, checked in at emergency and made our way to labor and delivery. I changed into some hospital clothes and we waited while my nurse ran some tests.


i may have been a basket case. but you should know that hunter has a nick name for me.
it is FSOD.
it stands for FAKE SMILE ON DEMAND.
i can smile for a camera in even the most adverse conditions.
*side note* i probs could win an award for "most swollen pregnancy nose"...
 Considering the fact that it had been three years since I delivered baby Haven, I had basically forgot just how completely awful and painful delivery is. But guess what? Apparently in labor and delivery something that goes down is labor and - get this - delivery. I think that the ladies in the rooms around us were trying especially hard to remind me of how completely awful and painful delivery is. There were animal-like moaning noises coming from down the hall for about 20-25 minutes. This was followed by shrill screaming and then the loud crying of a newborn baby. I probably would have started freaking out... but Huntie Sam was taking care of the "freaking out" department all on his own. And since I'm such a kind wife, I helped to calm him by doing what any considerate wife would do: I laughed at him hysterically (seriously the look on his face was probably the most hilarious thing I have witnessed in a long, long time).  

*Alright, alright...maybe I do need to work harder on my comforting skills... *

i tried really hard to catch a photo of the look on huntie's face as he was listening to the lady down the hall screaming, but he caught me in the act and started laughing a nervous laugh.
for a visual, just imagine complete terror and also excitement at the same time and that's about right.
The nurse came back to do a test to confirm that my water had actually broke and to check me. She confirmed that it was amniotic fluid and said that I was already 3-4 cm! Which isn't a lot, but considering the fact that I was in denial a little bit that I was actually having a baby (and also that I was in no real pain either) this seemed like a pretty big deal to me.

The nurse called my Dr. and relayed the information to him. He told her to send me home for the night to get some rest or at least to progress a little further in labor. If nothing happened overnight then I was to come back to the hospital by 7:00 AM to be induced. 

Hunt and I packed our things up and went home where my Mom was with Haven. Haven had had a hard time going to sleep; he knew that something big was happening. My Mom went home and before she left both her and Hunter made me promise that I would actually rest and not stay up all night washing clothes and painting my crib. I reluctantly agreed. 

Just as Hunter and I were laying down to go to bed, Hav walked into our room. I couldn't have been more happy though. Everything was about to change in a huge and drastic way; for him, for me and for Hunter. Things would never be the same again in our little family. I was excited and happy for the change. But I wanted to soak up every last moment of being only 'Haven's Mama'.

   
this is sweet haven as a baby.
watching him drift off to sleep is still one of my most cherished times of the day. 

Hunter was exhausted from working all day and evening and fell asleep immediately. I laid beside Haven and watched him slowly drift off into dreamland.

and so began one of the longest nights of my life.

to be continued....  

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!!! Your baby is so cute. So what is the name of your little angel!!!!
    :)

    Regards,
    Luxury Hair extensions

    ReplyDelete